There seem to be as many definitions of what a producer does as there are producers! So here is my philosophy of the producer's role.
If I agree to produce a band, it's because I love their music. I see their potential. My whole purpose as their producer is to help them make the best album they can possibly make. I start by really getting to know the band. I go to their shows and practices. I listen to their existing albums and their demos. Then I ask myself: “What does this band really need from me? How can I be of maximum service? How can I support this band's creative vision?”
Some bands just need a little nudge in the right direction; some experienced guidance and a fresh set of ears. Others need someone to sort through their songs, help with arrangements, to pick the right studio, maybe find the perfect pedal steel player for that special overdub…basically someone to help make it happen.
Here's a brief list of some of the things I do as a producer:
- Work with the band to establish and stick to a budget and schedule
- Help with song selection and in clarifying an album's artistic direction
- Work on pre-production tasks like demos, guide tracks and compiling reference material
- Help with arrangements
- Attend and guide rehearsals to ensure the best preparation for recording
- Book studio time and hire engineers (if I am not engineering as well)
- Hire studio musicians (if needed) for those special parts
- Guide all recording, mixing and mastering sessions
- Facilitate your CD/Vinyl artwork design and manufacturing
Tracking is finally finished for the new Bjørn and Britt album! All recording tool place in Norway, either at Ocean Sound Studios and Giske or Duper Studios in Bergen, over the past year and a half.
The NYC / NC rockers The All Things have finally completed their first EP and 7-inch entitled BA.
Jimmy Galloway's Tarheel Traveler is finally available for adoration.
"Bedlam", the 2nd album I've done for M Shanghai, breaks new sonic ground with darker moods and more atmospheric production. I'm super proud of this one!!!!
This August I traveled to Bergen, Norway to start pre-production on a what will be a beautiful record with Bjørn Tomren and Åse Britt Reme Jakobsen, known as Bjørn and Britt.
Photos from the basic tracking sessions for Jimmy Galloway's "Tarheel Traveler" album. Southern Tracks, Atlanta, GA.
Kristin Mueller's Deserts & Long Trails is finally released! This album is a tour de force of styles and musical virtuosity and I am super proud to have produced and engineered it!
Ben Holmes' debut as a band leader is finally out with this old-school trio record.